My Guide Website?
Waimangu Volcanic Valley Entry & Lake Rotomahana Cruise2 Reviews
Combine a nature walk and boat cruise to see the best of Waimangu Volcanic Valley. Discover incredible geothermal landscapes and some astounding sights that are only accessible by boat.
Our Top Experiences and Tours in Rotorua:If youʻre booking your trip to Rotorua last minute, we have you covered. Below are some of the top tours and experiences!
- Explore the youngest geothermal system in the world at Waimangu Volcanic Valley
- See the famous Inferno Crater and Frying Pan Lake
- Enjoy a relaxing 45-minute cruise on the tranquil Lake Rotomahana
- Read about each feature from the informative guide maps, available in multiple languages
DescriptionDiscover Waimangu Volcanic Valley with a self-guided nature walk and boat cruise. The valley is located just a 20-minute drive south of Rotorua or a 40-minute drive north of Taupo. Check-in at the reception at 8:30 AM sharp to allow enough time to explore the valley before boarding the boat at 10:25 AM for your cruise on the tranquil Lake Rotomahana. Begin your adventure with an ecology-focused 1.5-hour to 2-hour self-guided walk through the valley. Admire stunning natural attractions like Frying Pan Lake and Inferno Crater Lake. Encounter sweeping geothermal terraces, hot springs, and steam vents, set amongst native forest and grassland. You can also use the regular internal shuttle bus to transfer between bus stops in the valley to reduce walking distances. Then, board the Ariki Moana for a 45-minute cruise. Sit back and relax indoors or outside as you take in the tranquillity of Lake Rotomahana. Cruise past Patiti Island, into Starhill Crater, keeping an eye out for the lake's abundant native birdlife. Marvel at beautiful geothermal sights that can only be seen from the water. Learn the lake's history and about the Mount Tarawera eruption from your skipper. At the end of your cruise, return to the reception area by complimentary shuttle bus or enjoy a return walk, perhaps along a different track.
IncludesWaimangu Volcanic Valley admission fee Onsite shuttle bus Self-guided walk 45-minute Lake Rotomahana cruise Live English commentary from the skipper on the cruise Information sheet and map
- Comfortable walking shoes are highly recommended
- Please wear comfortable, weather-appropriate clothing, along with rain or sun protection as necessary
- Allow at least 3 hours to complete the walk and fully enjoy your cruise
- Children must be accompanied by a responsible adult
- A courtesy shuttle regularly circles the valley back to the Waimangu Visitor Centre
- Note that occasionally wind conditions in the winter mean that some cruises are canceled, in the event of this happening you will be offered a partial refund for the cruise component