Gardens and Parks
The Lakefront Reserve as the name suggests, is well positioned to take in the view of Lake Rotorua. The reserve is close to a number of the main activity operators including the Lakeland Queen paddle steamer, jet boating and scenic helicopter flights.
The reserve itself is divided into three distinct sections - the Village Green (situated between Memorial Drive, Whakaue Street and Tutanekai Street), the Soundshell (situated between Lake Road and Lake Rotorua) and the War Memorial Park, that opened in 1958. Covering eight hectares, the land was gifted by the Ngati Whakaue sub-tribe.
From 2021, the lakefront has undergone a $40 million redevelopment to attract more visitors and locals to enjoy the area. Landscaped gardens, playground, carparking and new city cycleway connection all feature and have transformed the area.